Ok, the remaining part of my Mekhela Chador adventure(???)
This Wedding was that of My Dad's old Friend's son.The groom and his family had last seen me 4-5 years ago. For me, they were forever grown up.In reality, the groom nor his sisters have atleast surpassed their mid-thirties. I am talking like this because as soon as the groom's mother spotted me, she exclaimed," oh look at her, wearing mekhela chador. looking so grown up, so cute".
That was the beginning. Quite contrary to my apprehensions, none of the groom's family gladly accepted me as a grown up. They all seemed quite amused that a child like me is trying to pass for a big girl.
The groom introduced me to the bride in the same fashion, saying ,"look, she has come wearing mekhela chador like a big girl,little one ". And the bride responded," hmm, kids like to dress up so, dont they, dearie??" to me. I felt like blurting out," I m in my mid-twenties, not teens. I have passed out from university!!!" But, didnt, of course.
I dont understand why my parents didnt speak up, saying i m old enough and even expected to wear dat dress. Ufff!!!!
Now, this brings me to my current dilemma, should i or should i not wear mekhela cahdor/saree to social functions?? Am i or am i not expected to wear it? what in the world should i do?
I think I should just stop going to weddings altogether.
Vikas
9 months ago
3 comments:
Thats a gr8 idea. Weddings are to be hated..all the namaskars upon introduction, pretending wid a false smile that yes u remembr him/her, and above all the condescending "baa, em-man dangor hoi gola!" hmph!
SUCKS
You bring up topic that I always want to discuss about. I never support that idea of wearing mekhela chadar to marriage. But being a boy it is very difficult to address that topic. We assamese people always show that we are very advanced. Then why you ask your daughter to wear only mekhle chadar for a marriage. Why don't you ask her opinion about that. I think, by stopping from going to marriage will not solve the problem. Someone has to start defying those logic. I know, it is easier to say but very diificult to defy those tradition. But if someone ask for a vote against that tradition, then I will be the first one.
Post a Comment